Thursday, February 2, 2012

Learning Style vs Preference

I agree with what the article is saying, that learning styles are more of a preference than an actual way to learn. When I took the learning style test, it showed that I was a kinesthetic and auditory learner, which goes against everything I ever thought I was. I make note cards. I hate studying with other people because they speak aloud and discuss things when I would rather read over my notes and text quietly. I believe that people prefer to make models to better understand a lesson on the solar system, but that they will still learn the information even if they read about it and take notes during a lecture. I think that knowing the ways your students prefer to learn is important in the classroom. It keeps lessons fresh and innovative instead of being stale. It challenges different parts of their cognitive development. Making art work out of right angles is different from writing a paper explaining right angles and where you can find them in the natural enviornment. Having students read and present parts in a chapter about the weather uses a different process than listening to the teacher and taking notes. The best philosophy for using learning styles in the classroom is to try to use approaches to satisfy all types throught the day in all of the subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment